Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Howdy!

Hi folks. I decided to start blogging because I love to cook and I love to share.  We are on a tight budget though, and that leads to some real creativity in the kitchen.  I'd like to share some of my tips and dishes with you.

The economy is tough for many of us.  A huge number of people are living on the edge financially.   Finding ways to save money is essential.  A very easy way to cut back is to learn to cook.  Processed foods are not economical and they aren't terribly healthy.  I do use some items that are processed, like spaghetti sauce.  I make my own too, but sometimes that isn't going to happen.  It is very handy to have some things in the cabinet that can help you to put a meal on the table quickly, but you should try to cut back on the amount of processed foods you buy and use.  Your pocketbook and your health will thank you.

This week we ran out of money on Monday and had to make it through until Thursday.    We had to pay for school pictures and stuff like that.  You all understand, I'm sure.  I have things in the refrigerator and freezer, so that isn't a big deal.

Tonight I had 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts to work with.  A neighbor moved from NY to CA and gave us some stuff from her cabinets that she didn't want to throw out.    One item was a box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice.  I don't usually buy processed foods, but I'll use them if they are free.  Add a little extra rice, some veggies and we have dinner.  It is sort of like Arroz con Pollo, but not really. 
Here are the basic ingredients:  I had one box of rice mix, one cup of rice, one cup of peas, 4 1/2 cups of water with some chicken base mixed in.  I didn't have any chicken stock, or I would have used that.  I also diced an onion, minced 2 garlic cloves, diced some bell pepper strips from my freezer and sliced a few mushrooms that needed to be used up. I cut the two chicken breasts into cubes that were about one inch square.

I heated some oil (about a tablespoon) in a pan and browned the cubed chicken breast.  I put the chicken in a bowl to add back in at the end with the peas.  Then I added the chopped veggies, without any additional oil.
Here is the chicken, after I cooked it.
I didn't over-cook the chicken.  I wanted it cooked through, but I didn't want it to get tough.  One problem with chicken breast is that it has a tendency to get tough or rubbery when cooked too long or at too high a heat.

I cooked the veggies until the onions were translucent (see through).  Then I added the rice, rice mix, seasoning packet and water.  I added some additional salt & pepper and some Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy.  I followed the package directions and brought it to a boil, covered, reduced heat to low, and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
When the timer went off I added the cooked chicken back to the pan with the peas.  I didn't bother to defrost the peas.  I stirred it up and added a bit of water because it was starting to stick to the bottom.  I covered the pan and let the chicken and peas warm while we set the table.  Here is the finished dish.
After picking out the mushrooms my son declared, "Dinner was wonderful!"  High praise, indeed.

The beauty of cooking for yourself is that you can customize it based on what you like and what you have.  If you don't like things spicy, leave out the Mrs. Dash.  If you don't have or don't like mushrooms, use what you have and like.  Carrots or celery would have been just fine.  I usually take it easy on the salt when I'm cooking.  It is easy to add more at the table, but you can't take it out.  If I didn't have the Uncle Ben's package, I could have used an additional cup of rice and I would have added some seasoning, like thyme.  Start with flavors you know you like, or with things you have in the cupboard.  I happen to like thyme with chicken and eggs.  You could use basil, or herbs de provence too.  Whatever you want.  This dish would have been nice with cubed pork or tofu as well.

Thanks for spending a few minutes with me today. 





No comments:

Post a Comment